15.9.11

Barong




During our trip to Bali, my parents scavenged for a special souvenir to bring back home. We decided to go to a painting collection store to find something distinctively Balinese. There were some striking paintings, but they actually look very similar to traditional Filipino paintings, which we have an ample amount of exhibited in our house. Then I saw the Barong paintings... Before going to the store we watched a dance-drama about a Bali-Hindi myth, which I did not quite understand. Even though I couldn't really follow the play, I was intrigued with the mythological Barong character. He is the leader of the forces of good and an enemy of Rangda, the demon queen. Barong and Rangda balance good and evil in the world. Apparently, each region in Bali is protected by their own Barong, modeled after a different animal. Up until now, I cannot make out what animal the Barong is and the mystery makes the character so appealing. As soon as I laid eyes on the first Barong painting, I had to tell my parents to get it. My parents ended up getting the painting above (second picture). Imagine that painting framed on a white wall... I tell you, you can feel the life and energy! Having the Barong on our wall reminds me of my spiritual journey to Bali. The Barong represents the traditional cultural values, such as animism, that the Balinese cherish to this day. I feel like we did not only bring home a masterpiece, but also our own Barong protector.

No comments:

Post a Comment